We collect data about you when you use this service. We do this so that we can understand what interests people and how we can improve the site. We share some of this data with third parties who provide us with analytics and other services.
You have rights over what is done with data that is about you. You can contact us at [email protected] if you want to get a copy of that data. You can also ask us to update it, delete it or stop using it.
What data do we collect and why?
When you register with this website, we ask for and keep the following:
- your email address, so we can contact you
- your username on the Github platform - and a token allowing access to your repositories, so we can publish data on your behalf
- your twitter username, if you choose to share it in the “my details” form
We store this data until you delete your account, which you can do by contacting us at [email protected].
We also collect data as you use this website about:
- what pages you access, so that we know what content is popular
- the device and software you use, so that we know how to design the site
- your location, so that we know where in the world we reach
We do not link this back to your name or email address and we only store it in aggregated form.
How do we use this data?
We use this data to:
- Enable the core features of this service, such as publishing data on your behalf on the Github platform
- understand what the users of our website need so we can improve it
We do not use it for any automated decision making.
How do we share this data?
We share this data with a few third parties, who process it to give us better understanding:
- Google Analytics, to analyse the users of our website
We have made sure the third parties who are not in the EU protect the data to the same extent as companies in the EU.
If you register on behalf of an organisation we may need to share your email address with your employer to help manage your account.
We may also need to share this data with the authorities if they ask us to do so.
What rights and control do you have?
Because we operate in the UK, you have rights over the data about that we collect. You can:
- ask for a copy of data we have collected about you
- ask us to update that data
- ask us to delete it
- ask us to stop using it
If you ask for a copy of data we have about you, we have to provide it to you free of charge. You can ask us to send it directly to a third party. We have to provide it in a commonly-used machine-readable format.
You can do some of these things through the website, by editing your account. Otherwise, contact: [email protected].
Please tell us if you have concerns about how we collect, use or share data about you. You can also raise your concernsa with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
When might this policy change?
Who can I talk to about this policy?
The data controller for this website is Open Data Institute, 5th Floor, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9AG.